Hi everyone so hear is the last stage of the ,mould making before we can start running it in foam latex and then platinum silicone .
- Once the sculpt is protected with several layers of releasing agent you can start the final fiberglass process
- Begin by laying out some plastic sheeting to protect your work area .
- Next cut up 10-15 small squares of fibre glass tissue in preparation for the next step
- Mix up half a cup of gel coat with two measures of catalyst (catalyst is added to speed up the vulcanisation process ).
- Once mixed thoroughly paint the gel coat over the sculpt make sure you cover all the sculpt to pick up all the detail .
- Then wait for it to cure until it is tacky to touch it will take from 1hr-2hr depending on the temperature of the room
- The next step is to apply a coat of laminating resin over the cured gel coat. This will allow the fibreglass tissue to adhere to the gel coat and prevent any separation of the two layers . Then coat each square of fibre glass tissue with resin and apply it over the gel coat . Make sure you overlap each square to strengthen the layer .
- As always leave it for 20 minutes and cut any sharp edges around the mould .
- After this layer is dry (wait 1hr between layers) repeat the process twice again but with fiberglass matting .
- The next step is to drill holes through both parts of the mould to allow washers and screws to be used as a way of closing and clamping the mould shut. This is important as the mould needs to be tightly closed to ensure the edges set thin . Make sure you don’t drill the holes through the keys in the mould .
- After the holes are drilled the mould can then be separated and clean . Be patient as carefully when opening the mould as you don’t want to damage anything .
- Now clean out the Plasterline from the mould in preparation for running foam latex . I also use lighter fluid to further clean the mould as this dissolves the Plasterline easily.
Thanks for reading
As I have had quite a lot of practice with fiberglass I now feel confident enough with this process.. Overall I am very happy with quality of the moulds i have created . But i will really see how good they are when we start running them for foam latex .